Created by Val McDermid
Manchester, England’s private investigator, spunky KATE BRANNIGAN, has definitely got a mouth on her — and she knows how to use it. She’s special.
One of the more intriguing of the new breed of female eyes that popped up in the eighties and nineties, Kate’s younger and hipper than Sharon, Kinsey et al. And certainly tougher, what with her kickboxing.
In fact, she probably owes a lot more to Liza Cody’s ANNA LEE, anyway, come to think of it, although our gal Kate tends to be a bit more political. CrimeTime considered her at the time to be “the best female PI in British crime fiction,” and it’s hard to argue with them.
I just wish there’d been more of them.
Val McDermid has created two other popular series: one featuring/lesbian journalist Lindsay Gordon and another starring psychologist, Tony Hill. Scottish-born McDermid often refers to her work to be “Tartan Noir,” and has written a non-fiction book A Suitable Job for a Woman: Inside the World of Women Private Eyes (1995).
- Dead Beat (1992) | Buy this book
- Kick Back (1993) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Crack Down (1994) | Buy this book
- Clean Break (1995) | Buy this book
- Blue Genes (1996) | Buy this book
- Star Struck (1998) | Buy this book
COLLECTIONS & OMNIBUS EDITIONS
- Dead Beat/Clean Break (2018) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Crack Down/Clean Break (2018) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Blue Genes/Star Struck (2018) | Buy this book | Kindle it!