Created by William Dylan Powell
Peg-legged ex-cop turned unlicensed private eye BILLY RASKOLNIKOV and his pet monkey RINGO (yeah, you read that right) work out of a boat, David’s Fifth Margarita, docked in Redfish Bay near Corpus Christi. They’ve appeared in several humorous short stories in Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine, set on the Texas coast in the 1980s.
William Dylan Powell is the head of a Houston, Texas ad agency and the award-winning author who writes crime and mystery short stories, and non-fiction books about Texas history. His first short story, “Evening Gold,” appeared in the November 2006 issue of Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine, and went on to win that year’s Robert L. Fish Memorial Award. One of his recent non-fiction books, Untimely Demise: A Miscellany of Murder, is a “darkly humorous presentation of 365 deadly deeds.” hi work has been featured in Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine, Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine, the Best American Mysteries 2018 and, he proudly notes, a host of fine truck stop bathroom walls across the Texas badlands. That’s right. He’s from Texas.
- “The Seagull and the Skull” (July 2015, Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine)
- The Night Watchman’s Wife” (July 2016, Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine)
- The Model Citizen” (March/April 2017, Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine)
- Curse of the White Armadillo” (July/August 2018, Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine)
- “The Haunted Railcar” (2019, The Eyes of Texas)
- Lone Star Eyes
The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You