Created By Jonathon King
After two well-received books (including his Edgar-winning The Blue Edge of Midnight (2002) debut, he spent mucking about around the edges of the P.I. genre, Jonathon King’s MAX FREEMAN finally became a full-fledged private eye in his third novel, Shadow Men (2004).
Max was originally a Philly cop, or at least until he shot and killed a twelve-year-old kid involved in a convenience store robbery. Although subsequently vindicated, he’s plagued by guilt, and now lives in an isolated shack without power or running water in the Everglades, his version of a residential hairshirt, I guess.
But once a cop, always a cop. Max just can’t seem to keep getting into things — in The Blue Edge of Midnight, he discovers a dead child, and ends up tracking down a serial killer; and in A Visible Darkness (2003), he goes up against a killer who preys on elderly women.
Shadow Men (2004) finds Max going up against another killer, but this time he’s getting paid for his troubles. A brand new private eye, Max is hired to investigate the disappearance eight some-odd years ago of a father and his two sons who vanished while working as laborers to build the first road through the Florida Everglades. The client, a man contemplating joining a seminary and a descendant of the missing men, has recently come across a series of letters that possibly shed new light on what happened — but is quickly stonewalled. He turns to Max for help.
Jonathon King’ has been a journalist for more than twenty years, covering the crime beat, mostly, and is currently a feature writer for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
- “In Shadow Men, Jonathon King captures the intrigue, lyrical beauty, and darkness of the Florida Everglades better than any other writer I know of. His account of corporate greed in the midst of an Edenic paradise is a warning for our times.”
— James Lee Burke
- The Blue Edge of Midnight (2002) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- A Visible Darkness (2003) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Shadow Men (2004) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- A Killing Night (2005) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Acts of Nature (2007) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Midnight Guardians (2010) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Don’t Lose Her (2015) | Buy the book | Kindle it!
- The Max Freeman Mysteries, Volume One (2017) | Kindle it!
Contains the first three novels.
- The Max Freeman Mysteries, Volume Two (2018) | Kindle it!
Contains the last four novels.
- The Children of Travis McGee
The Literary Descendants of Our Man Trav…
Some Freshly-Squeezed Eyes