For Works First Published in the U.S. in 2020
Following are the categories for the Private Eye Writers of America 2020 Shamus Awards for private eye novels and short stories first published in the United States in 2020. The awards will be presented in the fall of 2021.
Submissions must be postmarked by March 31, 2021.
No extensions can be given.
Shamus Committees will forward their final lists to the Shamus Awards Chair by May 31, 2021.
Eligible works must feature as a main character a person PAID for investigative work but NOT employed for that work by a unit of government. These include traditionally licensed private investigators; lawyers and reporters who do their own investigations; and others who function as hired private agents. These do NOT include law enforcement officers, other government employees, or amateur, uncompensated sleuths.
Please send one copy of each eligible work to ALL members of the appropriate committee. Do NOT submit a book to more than one committee.
There is no application fee and no submission form, as a simple cover letter will suffice. If you have any questions, please e-mail Gay Toltl Kinman at email@example.com BEFORE submitting.
BEST HARDCOVER PI NOVEL
A book-length work of fiction published in hardcover in 2020 that is NOT the author’s first published P.I. novel.
BEST FIRST PI NOVEL
A book-length work of fiction, in hardcover or paperback, first published in 2020 that is the author’s first published novel featuring a private investigator as a main character.
BEST ORIGINAL PAPERBACK PI NOVEL
A book-length work of fiction first published as a paperback original in 2020 that is NOT the author’s first P.I. novel. Paperback reprints of previously published novels are NOT eligible.
BEST PI SHORT STORY
A work of fiction of 20,000 words or fewer. Stories first published in an earlier year and reprinted in a magazine, anthology or collection in 2020, are NOT eligible.
2020 SHAMUS AWARDS COMMITTEES
- Gay Toltl Kinman
- Chair: Colleen Collins, 2255 Sheridan Blvd., Unit C #293, Edgewater CO 80214
- O’Neil DeNoux, 428 West 25th Avenue, Covington LA 70433
- Dennis Palumbo, 15300 Ventura Blvd., Ste. 402, Sherman Oaks CA 91403
BEST FIRST P.I. NOVEL COMMITTEE
- Chair: April Kelly, POB 5, Ooltewah TN 37363
- James D. F. Hannah, 3821 Nanz Avenue, apt. 4, Louisville KY 40207
- Clive E. Rosengren, 2030 Brookhurst St., apt. 3, Medford OR 97504
BEST ORIGINAL PAPERBACK P.I. NOVEL COMMITTEE
- Chair: Mary Keliikoa, 759 South 74th Place, Ridgefield WA 98642
- David Thompson, 17402 Wild Rose Lane, Huntington Beach CA 92649
- Matt Coyle, 3939 Clairemont Mesa Blvd., San Diego CA 92117
BEST P.I. SHORT STORY COMMITTEE
- Chair: Andrew S. McAleer, 121 Follen Road, Lexington MA 02421
- Ron Katz, 2085 Cowper St., Palo Alto CA 94301
- Kevin Burton Smith, 3053 Rancho Vista #116, Palmdale CA 93551
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Please direct all further inquiries to Shamus Awards Chair Gay Toltl Kinman.
- The Shamus Awards
A complete list of all winners and finalists.
- The Private Eye Writers of America
The official web site.