Created by William Kent Krueger
Go back, go back, go back to your woods…
Former Chicago cop CORCORAN “CORK” O’CONNOR has seen enough. Part Irish and part Anishanaabe Indian, all he craves is the peace and solitude of the north Minnesota woods outside of Aurora, Minnesota (population 3752).
Alas, folks just don’t seem willing to let him slip into an easy life of retirement. First his gig as the new sheriff goes belly up after a disagreement between local Indians and whites turns bad. Then his wife splits, taking along his three daughters. So he makes do running a rundown restaurant and gift shop, getting by on heavy doses of caffeine, nicotine, and guilt. But trouble never seems to leave him alone. Seems there’s always something…
Which is why, somewhat reluctantly, Cork begins to work as a part-time private investigator.
Good, suspenseful reads, with the characters, Cork in particular, well drawn and believable. Krueger cut his teeth on short stories, and it shows — he has an eye for the telling detail, and manages to make Cork a real, living breathing character. He may not be the most gung ho of private eyes, but when it comes to the crunch, he doesn’t shy away, either.
- “Iron Lake is an explosive brew: one part James Ellroy, one part Stephen King, one part Jack London, and all parts terrific. Krueger takes the reader on a harrowing, unpredictable journey into the heart of the forest primeval where evil not only waits for you, but calls your name. A truly remarkable first novel; read it with someone watching your back.”
— David Housewright, creator of St. Paul private eye Holland Taylor
- Iron Lake (1998) | Buy this book | Kindle It!
- Boundary Waters (1999) | Buy this book
- Purgatory Ridge (2001) | Buy this book
- Blood Hollow (2004) | Buy this book
- Mercy Falls (2005) | Buy this book
- Copper River (2006) | Buy this book
- Thunder Bay: (2007) | Buy this book
- Red Knife (2008) | Buy this book
- Heaven’s Keep (2009) | Buy this book | Kindle It!
- Vermillion Drift (2010) | Buy this book | Kindle It!
- Northwest Angle (2011) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Tamarack County (2013) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Windigo Island (2014) | Buy the book . Buy the audio.. Kindle it!
- Manitou Canyon (2016) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- Sulfur Springs (2017) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Desolation Mountain (2018) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Lightning Strike (2021) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- Fox Creek (2022) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- Gopher State Gumshoes
Other Minnesota eyes.
Report respectfully submitted by Kevin Burton Smith.