Created by John Hegenberger
STAN WADE‘s a 1950s Hollywood P.I. and the star of a playful series of fun-flecked, star-studded romps by John Hegenberger. Stan may be no Toby Peters, but he has a similar amusing habit of rubbing shoulders (and occasionally other body parts) with the era’s celebrities, including Walt Disney, Humphrey Bogart, George Reeves, John Wayne, Ross Macdonald, Eleanor Roosevelt, Alfred Hitchcock, gangster Mickey Cohen, Ian Fleming, Robert Bloch, stripper Candy Barr, Lloyd Bridges, and even a sleazy Dallas nightclub owner named Jack Ruby. Spadefall (2016) should be of particular interest to fans of this site — Wade’s hot on the trail of the stolen manuscript of a new Sam Spade novel by Dashiell Hammett.
But the playfulness goes even further. Remember I mentioned Toby Peters? In Superfall (2016), Stan mentions his old office in the Faraday Building, the same one Stuart Kaminsy’s similar retro Hollywood dick used. And then he goes and gets a birthday card from a birthday card from Tobias and Carmen Pevsner.
Born and raised in the heart ofthe heartland, Columbus, Ohio, the author has a background in advertising, having spent “way too many years of experience as Advertising and Marketing Manager at companies, including IBM, AT&T, and Exxon. But he’s also written two non-fiction books about collecting movie memorabilia and comic books, and writes about Eliot Cross, a Columbus-based PI in 1988, Ace Hart, a western gambler in the 1870s, and the Tripleye series about the first detective agency on Mars.
- “If you’re looking for non-stop action, along with some humor and surprising twists, give this a try.”
– Bill Crider on Spyfall
- “Double Injeopardy” (2018, Shortfalls)
- “The Magnificent Score” (2018, Black Cat Mystery Magazine)
- Spyfall (2015)) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Starfall (2016) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Spadefall (2016) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Superfall (2016) | Kindle it!
- Stormfall (2017) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Shortfalls (2018)