Created by Sheena Kamal
NORA WATTS is a rookie private investigator, based in Vancouver, British Columbia, who reveals a healthy amount of skepticism and a dark, bitter wit as she goes through her paces. She’s also more than a little unstable, thanks to a troubled childhood being raised as a unwanted, biracial ward of the foster system, but she has her dog, Whisper, backing her up.
Good thing, because Nora needs all the help she can get. As the author says,
When it comes to sexual violence, everyone’s “After” is different; there’s no singular experience. I wanted to explore this further, which is why when I set about writing the “After” for my own complicated heroine, Nora Watts, I made her sexuality an important part of the narrative. There’s sex, but it’s carefully considered. Her sexuality is inevitably tied into her trauma and substance abuse issues. These are tough themes to explore. Sometimes I curse the day I decided to live in this woman’s head, but I did and now I get to share a different picture of an “After” — one that isn’t all that easy. One that breaks my heart.
The author was born in the Caribbean and immigrated to Canada as a child. She holds an HBA in political science from the University of Toronto, and was awarded a TD Canada Trust scholarship for community leadership and activism around the issue of homelessness, and has also worked as a researcher for the film and television industry. She currently lives in Vancouver, Canada.
- “A brave, unflinching heroine and brave, unflinching writing add up to an extraordinary debut – highly recommended.”
- “Suspenseful, atmospheric and often deeply moving, The Lost Ones features one of the most complicated and fascinating protagonists I’ve come across in a long time. I’d follow Nora Watts anywhere.”
- The Lost Ones (2017; aka “Eyes Like Mine”) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- It All Falls Down (2018) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- Dark End of the Street (2020) | Kindle it!
“The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”& The Complicated Matter Of Sexual Assault In Thrillers
Sheena Kamal on how Larsson’s “incomplete” novels inspired her. (December 2018, Bustle.com)