Created by Warren C. Easley
CAL CLAXTON is a former LA prosecutor and widower who now runs a small law office in Portland’s “Old City” which he’s dubbed Café Central. But all in all he’d rather be fishing for rainbow. Or drinking wine. Or just chilling in the old farmhouse he owns high up in the Red Hills of Oregon’s wine country with his Australian Shepherd Archie.
After the pressures of his former job and the suicide of his wife, I figure the poor guy deserves a break.
But gosh, wouldn’t you know it? Something always seems to pop up. And once rousted, Cal proves to be a persistent attorney, with a weak spot for the little guy and a penchant for doing much of his own legwork. The books are fairly plotted, just complex enough to savour, and justice, ah sweet justice (or at least a rough facsimile) eventually prevails.
And that might be the problem–maybe it’s me, but I find Cal just a little too nice, with his perfect little life, his always perfect politics, and his always polite and respectful manner. He doesn’t wisecrack and he goes along to get along. He’d make a great neighbour, but I’m not sure I want to read about him. He’s more Ned Flanders from the Simpsons than Perry Mason.
Maybe if he’d just kick someone in the teeth, or fuck up colossally, I’d like him a little better.
But don’t tell him that, in case he invites me over for a little wine…
- Matters of Doubt (2013) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Dead Float (2014) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Never Look Down (2015) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Not Dead Enough (2016) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Blood for Wine (2017) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Moving Targets (2018) | Buy this book
- No Way to Die (2019) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- No Witness (2021) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- An Old Raincoat Won’t Let You Down
Pacific Northwest Eyes
Respectfully submitted by Kevin Burton Smith.