Created by Dana King
A sort of spin-off from his Penns River books, A Small Sacrifice (2013) kicked off a new series featuring Doc’s cousin NICK FORTE, a former musician turned private eye working the Chicago area.
Nick, who previously appeared in Grind Joint (2013), the second Penns novel, is an appealing enough detective, a divorced but loving father to his daughter, reasonably honest and with no particular use for bullies.
There’s a scene in one of the books (alas, I lost my notes and now forget which one) where Nick confronts a father smacking his kid around at the local Lowes that may be worth the price of admission alone.
Hell, it certainly impressed me.
And other folks have noticed as well. The Forte private investigator series has earned King two Shamus Award nominations (for A Small Sacrifice and The Man in the Window) and his short fiction has appeared in the anthologies The Black Car Business, Unloaded 2, The Shamus Sampler 2, and Blood, Guts, and Whiskey. He is a member of the International Thriller Writers, Private Eye Writers of America, and Sisters in Crime.
- “Tough, taut, unsentimental, and as hard-boiled as a dinosaur egg; Dana King delivers a private-eye procedural that would make Joe Gores proud.”
— David Housewright on Bad Samaritan
- A Small Sacrifice (2013) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of (2014) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- The Man in the Window (2015) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- A Dangerous Lesson (2016) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Bad Samaritan (2018) | Buy this book | Kindle it!