Created by Howard Michael Gould
“Don’t want, don’t acquire, don’t require. Don’t affect. Don’t hurt.”
— Charlie’s mantra
A former LAPD hotshot detective who was damn near legendary, poor Charlie just ain’t right no more. The scruffy ex-cop has been living out in a tiny cabin in the woods, off the grid somewhere in the Hollywood Hills for the last three years. He’s hooked on leaving as small a carbon footprint as possible, riding a bicycle everywhere he goes and raising chickens.
Personal hygiene? Sometimes.
Oh, and he’s got this major obsession about limiting himself, like some kinda hermit, to owning no more than One Hundred Things.
Like a hermit? Honey, this wack-a-doodle is a hermit. He makes Monk look like a poster boy for stability.
It’s all his way of doing penance for screwing up an old murder case when he was a cop. His very public (and epic) failure to put things right has left most of the LAPD ticked off, and the rest of the city isn’t too sure about him either.
About the only one who still believes in him is his old girlfriend Lorena Nascimento, who just happens to run a small detective agency.
I dunno. I loved his debut, Last Looks (2018), and maybe you’ll believe in him, too. If you enjoy the gonzo antics of Carl Hiaasen and Richard Prather and don’t mind a little tongue-in-cheek, you should definitely give Charlie a spin. Hollywood certainly will — a film adaptation starring Charlie Hunnam as Charlie Waldo, to be directed by Tim Kirkby from a screenplay by Howard Michael Gould (adapted from his own novel) is in the works, and set to screen in 2020.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Howard Michael Gould has worked in advertising (three Clios!), television (Cybill! Instant Mom! The Jeff Foxworthy Show!) and film (The Six Wives of Henry LeFay! Mr. 3000! Shrek the Third!).
- ““What a joy, amid all the bland, usual suspects flooding the crime genre, to discover a true standout. Charlie Waldo, the scruffy, eco-maniacal protagonist of Last Looks, is one of the most eccentric and compelling heroes to appear on the literary scene in—well, forever. Howard Michael Gould has penned a joy of a story, with a remarkable supporting case and a wonderfully convoluted plot that zips effortlessly among the Hollywood hills. I loved this book and recommend it with all my heart.”
— William Kent Krueger
- “Last Looks is more than just a fun ride—it’s a new spin on a Hollywood P.I. mystery. With a blend of humor and suspense that calls to mind Harlan Coben and Robert Crais, Howard Michael Gould brings to life the quirky Charlie Waldo, a former cop confined to 100 worldly possessions and the claustrophobia of his own guilt over a former case gone bad. His journey back to the world is a ride well worth taking.”
— Gregg Hurwitz
- Last Looks (2018) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- Below the Line (2019) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- Pay or Play (2021) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- “Carbuncle’s Breakfast” (March 2021, digital) | Kindle it!
(2020, in production)
Based on the novel Last Looks by Howard Michael Gould
Screenplay by Howard Michael Gould
Directed by Tim Kirkby
Starring Charlie Hunnam as CHARLIE WALDO
Also starring Mel Gibson, Morena Baccarin, Dominic Monaghan, Eiza Gonzalez, Jacob Scipio, Clancy Brown, Paul Ben-Victor
Respectfully submitted by Kevin Burton Smith.