Created by Ralph Pezzullo
And so, in 2003, Ralph Pezzullo we were given Eve Missing. Grit was promised.
It featured a disgraced, washed-up NYPD cop, TONY “SMOKEY” ANNICELLI. He was a man with a troubled past and a not-so-great present, who was hired to track down a high-class fashion model with a plenty of problems of her own.
It received some good press, and we even ran a favourable review of it on this site.
But it didn’t exactly set the world on fire.
Still, Pezzullo, a man who we were told wore “many different literary hats” and was “quite a character in person and on the page, “has persevered. He has since become a New York Times best-selling author, award-winning screenwriter, playwright, and poet. His books include Jawbreaker (with CIA operative Gary Berntsen), Inside SEAL Team Six (with SEAL assault leader Don Mann), The Chopin Manuscript (winner of the 2008 Audio Book of the Year), and Plunging Into Haiti (winner of the 2006 Douglas Dillon Prize for American Diplomacy). In May 2012, a long-time-coming sequel to Eve Missing entitled Blood of My Blood, also well received, was published.
- “Pezzulo comes out swinging… one writer to watch out for.”
— Steve Hamilton
- “Pezzullo is a welcomed breath of fresh air in a genre filled with many bland stories.”
— Phillip Tomasso III
- “There’s plenty of action and sex, some truly memorable characters (particularly Smokey himself) and a pleasingly convoluted mystery with a satisfyingly memorable climax. Even better, it’s refreshing to see a protagonist actually forced to deal with the aftermath of being shot, in a genre where that is a very real occupational hazard.”
— Dale Stoyer, Thrilling Detective Web Site
- Eve Missing (2003) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Blood of My Blood (2012) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Eve Missing by Ralph Pezzullo
The Thrilling Detective Web Site review by Dale Stoyer.