Created by Timothy Hallinan
POKE RAFFERTY doesn’t have your typical background for a private eye. He was a travel writer, and in fact, he’s still a writer, at least part-time.
Plus he’s also got to be about the only gumshoe of Filipino-Irish heritage that I can think of.
Now he lives in Bangkok, trying to be a family man with his ex-hooker girlfriend Rose and a young street kid, Miaow, whom they’ve more-or-less adopted.
There’s some sharply observed local colour, and Poke’s outsider-looking-in viewpoint doesn’t pull any punches — he puts you facedown right in the seediness. Fans of Christopher Moore’s fellow Bangkok ex-pat eye Vinee Calvino should get a kick out of this one.
Hallinan, a one-time partner in a Los Angeles public relations firm, previously wrote a well-received series about Los Angeles private eye Simeon Grist, and more recently he’s started writing about Los Angeles second story man turned reluctant private eye Junior Bender.
- A Nail Through the Heart (2007) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- The Fourth Watcher (2008) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Breathing Water (2009) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- The Queen of Patpong (2010) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- The Fear Artist (2012) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- For the Dead (2014) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- The Hot Countries (2016) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- Fool’s River (2017) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- Street Music (2020) | Buy this book | Kindle it!