Created by Mandy Morton
“An unfamiliar noise made Hettie’s elegant tabby fur stand on end…”
— from The No. 2 Feline Detective Agency. The prosecution rests…
Hack! Koff! Koff!
Imagine a cutie pie cat private eye mystery, with a crime-solving feline named HETTIE BAGSHOT who runs her own struggling detective agency–in a world populated entirely by cats.
Maybe if this was intended for kids, or if it used anthropomorphy as a means of poking fun at or commenting on the human condition (as in Blacksad) I wouldn’t mind so much. But drenching what is essentially a cozy (obviously intended for “adult” cat lovers who refer to their pets as “fur babies”) in cloying, kitty-litter cuteness, and then liberally dousing it in coochie coochie coo makes me want to cough up a hairball.
But obviously some folks just love this stuff. I would have suggested having the first book, The No. 2 Feline Detective Agency (2017) taken to the vet and spayed, before it could fill the world with unwanted offspring, but now it’s too late.
And yet, there have been sequels. Many sequels…
Even more disturbing, though? I saw some brand new first editions of the first few books in the series, barely five years old, clocking in at almost a grand apiece on Amazon…
- The No. 2 Feline Detective Agency (2015) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- Cat Among the Pumpkins (2015) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- The Death of Downton Tabby (2016) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- The Ghost of Christmas Paws (2016) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- The Michaelmas Murders (2017) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- The Magical Mystery Paws (2018) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- Beyond the Gravy (2019) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- The Ice Maid’s Tail (2020) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- A Pocket Full of Pie (2021) | Buy this book | Kindle it!
- The Cat and the Pendulum (2022) | Kindle it! | Buy the audio
- The Windmill Murders (2023) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- “Oh mama, I got dem cosmic anthropomorphic P.I. blues again…”
Going to the dogs, the cats and worse.