P.I. Spoofs and Callouts in Comics & Cartoons
- If Mickey Spillane Wrote NANCY… from MAD Magazine
- In the Tradition of Hammett, Chandler, Macdonald and Snoopy (Peanuts) by Charles Schultz
- Arlo, Janis & Spenser
- Bugs Bunny, Private Eye
- Private Eye Popeye (1954, Famous Studios)
- Meat Hamburg (Pogo) by Walt Kelly
- Tracer Bullet (Calvin & Hobbes) by Bill Watterson
- Sam Spayed (Garfield) by Jim Davis
- Duck Twacy (Daffy Duck) in “The Great Piggy Bank Robbery”
- Jughead Jones (Archie Comics)
AND BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR…
What’s the scoop? If anyone can fill me in on any of the above suspects—or add to this rogue’s gallery of comic book and cartoon characters at least temporarily drafted into the Shamus Game, our lines are open.
Like, Snoopy as Joe Private Eye? Was that a thing? Or just fan art?
- Something Funny About the Eyes
This site’s growling list of parodies, satires, spoofs and lampoons of the genre we hold dear.
- The Defective Detective: Mystery Parodies By The Great Humorists (1992) | Buy this book
This fantastic collection, edited by Steve Carper, contains many of the above parodies.
- Gun in Cheek (1982)
Son of Gun in Cheek (1987)
Bill Pronzini’s sings the praises of his beloved “alternative classics” Essential reading.