Created by David Gordon
Except when he isn’t. But I think most visitors to this site won’t mind if I cut this JOE “THE BOUNCER” BRODY guy a little slack…
As a former Black Ops Specialist turned smart-ass strip club bouncer (and reluctant part-time fixer for the Mob), it’s difficult to peg Joe as any sort of amateur.
Sure, he’s got his problems –like being a little too fond of alcohol and drugs — but when the going gets tough for New York’s gangster class, Joe’s the one they call, in this black-hearted, action-packed series of acclaimed novels by David Gordon.
The author holds an MA in English and Comparative Literature and an MFA in Writing, both from Columbia University, and has worked in film, fashion, publishing and pornography.
- “Fast, funny and tough, David Gordon’s The Bouncer will toss you over his shoulder like King Kong and carry you away.”
— Max Allan Collins
- “The Bouncer feels like the introduction to a series…loaded with interesting, quirky characters who are just different enough from those one usually encounters in a crime novel to shoulder its way to the top of your reading list…Gordon has garnered critical acclaim for his previously published fiction but deserves more notice in the public eye. This may be the book that provides that impetus. And somebody in the video industry needs to read it as well.”
- “With The Bouncer (2018), Gordon established himself as a major player in comic thrillerdom, right up there with Thomas Perry…Much of Gordon’s genius comes from his ability to build character in a few subtle brush strokes, so his entire cast, including the morally and sexually ambiguous New York mobster Gio Caprisi, get under our skins in an instant and stay put. There are some grisly doings this time, but the lightness of touch that distinguishes Gordon’s prose, whether his characters are bantering or dismembering, is still what makes this series soar.”
— Booklist (starred review)
- The Bouncer (2018) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!
- The Hard Stuff (2019) | Buy this book | Buy the audio | Kindle it!